7 August 2011

Dreams of Old Delhi

With everything almost finalised for India (with the first set of jabs tomorrow eek!) whilst planning the actual trip I have been having serious thoughts about holiday books and the fact that I have two very long flights to indulge in some hardcore reading. My Dad has lent me Salman Rushdie's classic Midnight's Children and I have A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry sat on the TBR. However, I am particularly excited about my next purchase; hopefully the City of Djinns by William Dalrymple, which sounds like the perfect read for our first time in this scintillating city. Djinns are figures that fascinates me; spirits that appear in many novels set in the East (including my current read) and seem to be particularly prevalent in Indian culture. This book promises a lot - part-memoir; encompassing not only Dalrymple's personal experience of the city but also an exploration of its rich history. How exciting! 


No comments:

Post a Comment